Quit smoking is not easy because smoking cigarettes or weed or pot is a hard to break habit even if compared to drug addiction. The benefit of not smoking tobaccos is already known by almost everyone of us as declared by many experts, researches, doctors, etc. As an attempt to cure their nicotine addiction, a smoker will try to find a way, a medicine, a drug, an aid, a treatment, remedies, etc. Fortunately there are variety ways to get rid of smoke.
One available method to give up smoking is using medicine in form of pill. One kind of this pill is called Zyban, and the other is Chantix pill.
What is Zyban
Zyban is trade name of bupropion hydrochloride as its active ingredients. It is an antidepresant which formerly used in the treatment of depression disease. Zyban 150 MG (commercial product or not free) taken orally twice a day dose works better than placebo. Not like nicotine patches or gum (in nicotine replacement therapy), zyban does not contain nicotine. The manufacturer or producer of this product is GlaxoSmithKline. It was approved by FDA on May 14, 1997. Zyban used in an smoking cessation program as an aids to increase the chance to succeed.
Picture courtesy of www.tristatemeds.com
How does it works
When zyban pills taken, it will reaches the brain and starts to affect the neurotransmitters thus reduce the physical withdrawal to start smoking again. Those withdrawal are anxiety, restlessness, craving/hunger, irritability, awful, no mood, frustration and hard to concentrate.
What about the success rate of this pills?
Few studies or researches had been carried to monitor how effective this prescription medicine to help smokers to cure nicotine addiction. The 29.5 % success rate in smoking cessation is showed in 12 (twelve) weeks study, and 1 (one) year study shows 16% not take cigarettes again. 50% (fifty percent) more effective than using placebo.
How is the direction to take this pill?
There are rules to use this pill. Here are the directions from the manufactures:
1. Take zyban exactly as prescribed by your doctor
2. Do not chew, cut or crush tablets. Just swallow the pills.
3. Take zyban at the same time each day.
4. Take your doses at least 8 (eight) hours apart.
5. If you miss a dose just wait and take the next pills at its regular time. If you take additional tablet it will increase the chance to get seizure.
6. If you take too much zyban or overdose, call your local emergency room or poison control center right away.
7. Do not take any other medicines while using zyban unless your doctor has told you it is ok.
8. Do not change your dose or stop taking zyban without talking to your doctor first.
What about warning?
Here are warnings to not take zyban if you:
1. Have or had a seizure disorder or epilepsy
2. Are taking Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, or any other medicines that contain bupropion hydrochloride.
3. Drink a lot of alcohol and abruptly stop drinking, or use medicines called sedatives (these make you sleepy) or benzodiazepines and you stop using them all in sudden.
4. Have taken within the last 14 days medicine for depression called monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), such as NARDIL (phenelzine sulfate), PARNATE (tranylcypromine sulfate), or MARPLAN ( isocarboxazid).
5. Have or had an eating disorder such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia.
6. Are allergic to active or inactive ingredients in zyban.
How long should I take zyban?
It is recommended to take this pill at least 7 to 12 weeks. Longer period maybe required just consult with your doctor.
When to stop smoking?
It takes one weekfor zyban to reach the right level in the body to be effective. Set the date to stop smoking in the second week of taking zyban.
Avoid while taking zyban
- Do not drink a lot of alcohol, but if you are alcoholic do not stop suddenly too. Talk to your doctor about this.
- Do not drive a car or heavy machinery until you recognize the effect of zyban because it can impairs the body in these tasks.
Possible side effects
- High blood pressure (Hypertension)
- Severe allergic reactions
- unusual thoughts or behaviors
- Dry mouth and difficulty sleeping
Active ingredients : bipropion hydrochloride
Inactive ingredients: carnauba wax, cysteine hydrochloride, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 80 and titanium dioxide.